Monday, October 5, 2015

Singapore: Sanpoutei


I'm a big fan of this ramen place from Niigata ever since my colleague introduced it to me. Have probably been back at least 15 times and I still haven't experienced diminishing marginal utility. There's something about the tonkotsu broth here that is complex (undertones of of mushroom, chicken, pork, bonito imo) and yet not too rich - the perfect balance really. I also love the fat curly noodles, the nicely charred and caramelised char siew and the ajitama egg never fails. 

Every time here I'll also get the mini buta don which comes topped with the most insane organic egg yolk. You have to mix it up together and make sure it coats every grain of rice. The ponzu chicken karaage is another must try side dish and I also often get a glass of their decently priced sakes which you can savour out of a bamboo container and feel very traditional Japanese about it. Kanpai!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment